- Deliver primary health and mental health care for all the students at Lincoln High School, Blue Ridge Elementary, Pioneer Middle School and HeadStart/ECEAP Preschool.
- Enable the students to obtain care that they need in a professional, confidential setting so that they may thrive.
- Educate the students on being stronger medical consumers, while working to keep them connected to school and developing healthier choices.
In 2008, community leaders identified the many at-risk students of Lincoln High School as being among the highest priority children for supportive intervention in Walla Walla. The Health Center at Lincoln was established in response to this need. Three years later, we are providing free medical, mental health and social-support referral services to more students than ever!
It’s shocking to hear, but we regularly see children who are dealing with issues such as:
- physical and/or sexual abuse
- serious neglect and/or homelessness
- an incarcerated family member
- a drug-abusing parent
- a mentally ill or addicted family member
- the responsibility to provide for the health and safety of a younger sibling
Not surprisingly, many children when faced with these untenable situations cope by turning to drugs and the companionship of friends who are similarly at-risk. Truancy is commonplace among this population, as is depression with thoughts of suicide.
At The Health Center, we are able to intervene in a variety of ways to protect and support our students. Often it is through receiving routine medical care that our students access the counseling services that they most need – counseling that they would not receive otherwise.