Current Opening: Mental Health Counselor
Job Title: Mental Health Counselor
Who we are:
The Health Center (THC) is an independent, non-profit school based health center located in Walla Walla, Washington. We work to advance the success of students by addressing their physical, emotional, and social needs. We provide bi-directional integration of care through medical and mental health services, free of cost to students. We currently have 4 clinic locations: Blue Ridge Elementary, Pioneer Middle, Lincoln High, and Walla Walla High School.
We are looking for an experienced mental health counselor who approaches student care with an innovative lens. You will be working collaboratively with school staff, students, THC colleagues, and parents to provide the needed support for students to attain their healthiest self.
Sound like you? Read on.
General Description: The Mental Health Counselor will provide individual and group mental health counseling sessions for students/clients of The Health Center. This position is approximately 30 hours per week, and we follow the Walla Walla Public Schools schedule, which includes summers off, snow days, and work days between 8:30 am-3:00 pm.
- Provide individual and group mental health counseling for The Health Center clients consistent with standards established by the Washington State Department of Health and The Health Center policy.
- Complete required documentation (intake, visit notes, billing slip, etc.) by the end of the next business day.
- Participate with The Health Center interdisciplinary team to provide mental health care recommendations for students and/or multi-disciplinary team meetings with outside agencies.
- Consult with primary care provider, teacher, school counselor, and other mental health professionals as needed.
- Make appropriate referrals as needed based on clinical judgment, providing the student at least 2 options for care.
- Provide counseling sessions for parents and students as needed.
- Provide case management, advocacy, and resource linkages.
- Develop and facilitate support groups.
- Maintain professional behavior and relations with school faculty, staff, and referral resources.
- Attend monthly oversight staffing with the Behavioral Health Clinical Supervisor.
- Assist The Health Center in following emergency procedure guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Education, or similar degree with associate or full licensure
- Commitment to the mission and work of The Health Center
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work and collaborate in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal relations, group facilitation skills, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deliver “best practice” individual, small group, and family counseling services.
- Compliance with Washington State and United States Federal laws and regulations for the provision of ambulatory mental health services.
- Experience and ability to provide proper mental health record keeping and billing in compliance with HIPPA
- Understanding of psychodynamics of children, adolescents, and treatment strategies for common mental health problems of children and adolescents
- Ability to handle multiple demands, prioritize and produce high-quality work under pressure
- Commitment to accuracy in all tasks, attention to detail is extremely important
- Enthusiastic with a capacity and willingness to learn
- Culturally sensitive and willing to work with persons from various socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds
What would get us excited?
- Bilingual Spanish
- Management under pressure: You never lose a sense of purpose and a sense of humor managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment. You can make solid decisions under pressure and follow up on them so that things do not fall through cracks.
- Excellent and skillful communicator: You enjoy communicating with a variety of humans. Your communication is precise, accurate and friendly.
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like THC serves its clients and partners through thick and thin.
Position Status: Non–Exempt (Hourly)
Target start date: ASAP, Based on candidate selection process
The Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to Lindsay@thehealthcenterww.org